Encrypted Items can become available in Far Cry 3 multiplayer (that includes Co-op).
When a player completes a challenge they will be rewarded with an Encrypted Item that can then be decoded to unlock weapon mods or XP. E.g. after finishing a Co-op level you will usually get 3–6 such items.
- Decode to earn XP.
- Decoding time: 10 minutes
- Reward: XP varies mostly low
- Decode to earn XP or weapon mods.
- Decoding time: 30 minutes
- Reward: XP varies along with weapon mod
- Decode to earn weapon mods.
- Decoding time: 1 hour
- Reward: a Weapon Mod
- Decode to earn a better chance to get more XP.
- Decoding time: 3 hours
- Reward: more likely a weapon mod
- Decode to get valuable weapon mods or possibly a higher rank.
- Decode time: 8 hours
- Reward: more XP and a weapon mod
- Note you can also decode these items off-line by logging into the official Far Cry 3 Outpost site with your Uplay account information. This is the only way to unlock the second decoder, the third one is unlocked when you reach Level 72 in Co-op / Multiplayer. (There seem to be connection issues using Firefox, the Internet Explorer is more stable when decoding.)
- If you have friends on Uplay playing Far Cry 3 they can give you their unneeded weapon mods and their (to them useless) decoding boosts. The latter can last up to two hours, and will double the decoding speed for that time period. So with a 2-hour boost, an 8-hour decode will effectively take 6 hours.