“A classic lever-action shotgun that is devastating in close quarters. This variant has a 28-inch barrel which gives a slightly more range than other shotguns.”
— In-Game Description
Far Cry 3
“The 1887 is a classic lever-action shotgun that’s been knocking around since the Wild West. It showed up in action movies and video games and, bang, it was as popular as Swedish furniture. A couple of years ago, Vaas’s men somehow managed to get their hands on a shipment of 1887s. Sure, there are newer designs, but you can’t flip cock them and flip cocking makes a man.”
— Survival Guide
Far Cry 3
The 1887 appears in Far Cry 3 as a lever-action breach-loaded shotgun. It can fit 7 shells into the magazine tube, and has one attachment slot.
The 1887 can be fitted with an optical sight, or an extended magazine; however, as it only has one mod slot, the user must decide between aiming or ammunition count. The extended magazine raises the ammo capacity from 7 to 9, making the ammo gain marginal.
However, the 1887 has a significantly tighter spread than other shotguns, in turn making it more effective at medium ranges. Despite this, it is still not effective at long range, and has a lengthy reload time from empty. It is recommended to use cover between shots to maximize damage while minimizing exposure.
The predominate playstyle of the 1887 falls into two categories: mid-range takedown shots, or close-range rapid shots. With an optical upgrade, the mid-range becomes easier, while the extended magazine is more useful for close-range where having the two additional shells can make-or-break a firefight.
It can be purchased for $130, or for free after deactivating 4 Radio Towers.
The 1887 returns in Far Cry 4; this time, adding a Signature Variant.
It features a shortened, sawn-off barrel and a reflex sight. The signature version also has greater damage capabilities compared to the regular version.
Unlike the regular version, the 87 can be used in vehicles as a sidearm due to its shorter length, but is not recommended for use in vehicles as the player will take lots of damage trying to get close to enemies since they're sitting in the vehicle instead of moving around.
The 1887 returns in Far Cry 5.
Like the 1887 from previous games, the magazine holds 7 shells that are singularly breach-loaded.
With the extended magazine, the capacity is increased to 9. it can also be fitted with an optical sight, and a suppressor.
- 1887 is short for Winchester Model 1887.
- Due to the lengthy reload from empty, it is advised to "load as you go" with the 1887, reloading when not firing or aiming.
- Like the SPAS-12, the 1887 is not carried by the Rakyat, Pirates or Privateers.
- The Galleria 1991 in Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon is based on the 1887.
- The survival guide entry to flip cocking is a reference to Terminator 2: Judgement Day, and the way the titular cyborg reloads his shotgun. In real life attempting to flip cock any lever action firearm requires an enlarged lever loop so your fingers do not break. It is also impossible with the 1887 due to its feed path. Upon trying to flip cock an 1887 without an aftermarket feed path cover will result in the shell flying out of the top of the shotgun rather than feeding in to the chamber.